Saturday, October 24, 2009

Attitude

Keeping Busy...

I love reading everybody's blog...you all have such cute things to show and stories to tell! I stay pretty busy most of the time with a life full of teenagers -- so most of the time there isn't much to blog about... However, the other day Highland's Football team won the Region #6 championship and it was such a big deal to my kids, I couldn't pass up praising them! I spend so much time with these kids and get to work with some phenomonal young people!
It's hard to believe that soon these kids will be off in the real world and considered adults. They can sometimes be so much trouble and other times so entertaining! (picture below l-r: Derek, Ono Tafisi, Toi Taufa, Sonny Heimuli and Fihi Kaufusi sitting on the ground)
Some of these kids have such tough lives and teaching and working with these kids serves to remind me of my blessings like a loving family, a peaceful home, good friends, financial stability, the chance to further my education, my health, my faith in Heavenly Father and my knowledge about the gospel. I feel like sometimes my students have to remind me what is really important.







So, what this all comes down to is that the other night when Highland won the state championship, I saw pure joy. Sometimes as adults, I think we forget the feeling of pure joy. But that night I saw the look in those boys eyes (like #11 Andre Coleman or #3 Toi Taufa) and remembered that being happy is a crutial thing in life. It is so important to be happy in what what we do and who we are regardless of what challenges we are facing. I have a quote on my classroom that I love: "We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way." (Viktor Frankl)













































1 comment:

Van Tassell said...

Beautifully written . . . it's like you are an English teacher or something!